Ok, winter's definitely here. I had to get the oil heater out of the garage today and the tumble dryer is most definitely back in service too. We're having rain, rain and more rain. And, although I know of more than enough people who would despair, all I can say is: Hurray, hurray, hurray! This is just what our vines need before we tuck them up to sleep for winter. Thankfully we managed to sort out pretty much all our post-harvest practices before the downpours. We've put down some fertiliser, ploughed between the rows and then sown some wheat to 'breathe life' back into the soil.... well, all except the pesky Shiraz where the rows require a smaller plough which, for some reason, we always struggle to source.
I feel sorry for the chaps trying to tar the driveway though... every time they scrape the road into a nice smooth surface, the rain comes and claws troughs all the way through. There's a rather concerning amount of erosion - which I guess one can only expect in these wet conditions - but the girls are just loving playing in the sludge!
No comments:
Post a Comment